Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mr. Braciole's spaghetti pie


I know a guy lives in... Wait, I ain't supposed to say. So this guy is a... Know what, skip that one too.

Maybe we should just stick with what this person cooked for me the last time I swung by his... What I meant to say was, the last time we saw each other — at a location I am not able to recollect right at the moment or, likely, ever. I remember that the place had a kitchen, but that's it. Could've been anyplace. Anyplace at all.

I know this guy as "Johnny Braciole," but you would not be wrong to question whether this is his given name. I mean, what kind of a person would name their own child after a rolled up piece of beef, am I right?

He's a good cook, this Braciole. Nice enough fella too. I think he has a family, maybe a wife (let's call her Susie, for the sake of argument) and a daughter (oh, I dunno, how about Jennifer, let's say). But, again, I am not at all certain on either of these points, so stop with all the questions already!

The only thing I am sure about is that the spaghetti pie Mr. Johnny Braciole threw together when last we met was one very fine example of the item.

For reasons that I am not at liberty to convey, the man has an aversion to recording devices being used in his presence (he's shy, okay). However, as we have been close for so many years, I did manage to shoot a few frames of the pie-making proceedings.

Wait a minute, did I say we were close? I swear my mind is starting to go. He's an acquaintance, this Braciole. Got that? I would not know how to get in touch with him, for example, should anybody be of a mind to come into contact with the man. For whatever reason.


So you got your eggs and your grated cheese. (You don't see nobody in the reflection there, do you? Me neither. Phew!)


Which gets mixed together with the spaghetti, of course. (What, you were expecting ziti?)


Throw it in a baking dish and top with some more what? Right, cheese. (You've been paying attention.)


And there you go. Johnny Braciole's famous (he calls it that, and I am not of a mind to argue with the man) spaghetti pie.


The Braciole does not look anything like this today (he has undergone some alterations, shall we say). This is an old pic that I do not think he would mind my showing you. Don't ask me what's going on in this frame, please, because I have no idea. Like I said, I'm not that close with the guy and am certainly not privvy to any strange "habits" he might enjoy.

I will say this, though: The lady he's with? Looks a lot like my cousin Vito.

Only my cousin's cuter.

Johnny Braciole's spaghetti pie
Recipe

1 lb cooked spaghetti (make sure it's al dente)
9 eggs
1 cup grated Italian cheese of your choice
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 F
While the pasta is boiling, beat the eggs in a large bowl, then add in 3/4 cup of the cheese, salt and pepper.
After the pasta is done cooking, let it cool a bit, then add it to the egg and cheese mixture.
Grease a 9- by 12-inch baking dish, add all the ingredients, then top with the remaining cheese
Bake covered in foil for about 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned

One more thing. You didn't get this recipe from me, okay. Understand what I'm saying?

11 comments:

Thomas Henry Strenk said...

I'm guessing by your elliptical comments you're inferring that Johnny is mobbed up?
As for Spaghetti Pie, my people call that Mac & Cheese.

Mister Meatball said...

THS: I dunno what you're talkin about.

Oh, and your people? They're wrong.

S. said...

LOLOL. Awesome post, Mr. M.

Karen @ Mignardise said...

Mmm, I love an easy recipe like this, especially one that's full of cheese and pasta.

Jeannie said...

You are so hilarious Mister:D Love the simplicity of this spaghetti pie...looks delicious too!

Ann Tracy, Maine's Digital Alchemist & Artist said...

Similar to the family baked spaghetti recipe... might have to try a fusion dish and add some chopped onion and spinach...

Claudia said...

My godfather would approve. As for myself, I would not be good at sharing this. Eggs + cheese + pasta = happy Italian cook.

Unknown said...

This is my default recipe for pot luck office parties when there is nothing in the house to cook. A little bit of a heavy hand with the pepper is recommended.
Peter

nycstylelittlecannoli said...

great blog and recipes...looking forward to more posts!!

Lori said...

What a great blog!! My brother (who is the other half of our blog) will love it too. We are now following you and hope you'll stop by ours soon!

Lori

Food Safety Course said...

Spaghetti pie is new to me. Although I love spaghetti since I was a child. My mom always cooks me, my brothers and my sister whenever it's our birthday or other special occasions that needs celebrating. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Now I can cook for my mom.