Sunday, January 29, 2012

How to make chocolate salami


This is not something I dreamed up, okay.

Salame di cioccolato, or chocolate salami, is a traditional sweet in Tuscany. Whatever possessed me to spend a beautiful Saturday afternoon producing such a thing, I do not know.

Nor would I encourage any of you to guess.


You can make this with any combination of ingredients. The traditional Tuscan way is to simply use plain dry cookies as a filling, but I went in another direction: In addition to the chocolate, milk and cookies I added rum, almonds, dried figs and my homemade candied orange peel.


Melt the chocolate and the milk in a double boiler.


Add everything else at the same time.


Mix it all together.


Divide in quarters and roll each salami in parchment paper.


Then toss all four into the fridge to set.


To get the full salami visual effect simply apply a light layer of confectioners sugar to the outside before serving.

Simplest dessert I have ever made.

Chocolate salami
Recipe

24 oz. dark chocolate
14 oz. can of non-fat sweetened condensed milk
4 oz. dried figs, chopped
4 oz. almonds, chopped
4 oz. plain cookies, broken
2 oz. candied orange peel, chopped
Good splash of rum
Confectioners sugar for coating salami.

In a double boiler melt the chocolate and condensed milk.
Add in all the other ingredients (except the sugar), mix thoroughly and allow to cool for several minutes.
Divide into quarters and transfer each batch to its own piece of parchment paper.
Shape into 10- to 12-inch logs, roll, then refrigerate until hardened.
Remove from the fridge, apply a light coating of confectioners sugar, slice and serve.

11 comments:

S. said...

I see your salami with a pate :) http://www.sprinklebakes.com/2011/01/chocolate-pate-with-creme-chaud-froid.html

Chococuterie.

Fred said...

What? No bacon? No peperoncini? What kind of joint is this, anyways.

Thomas Henry Strenk said...

Why "non-fat" sweetened condensed milk?
And I agree with Fred, some bacon might be good in this.

Mister Meatball said...

S: Sounds good to me.

Fred and Tom: So make it with the bacon already! You got arms.

As for the non-fat, I am watching my girlish figure, of course.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

I've sen this and eaten it, but I never think to make it - until now that is. looks easy and yummy.

Amy Canfield said...

I can attest to its yumminess! Bravo, Mister Meatball. I'm keeping this recipe!

Claudia said...

I make this every Christmas. Printing your version for when the mood hits me (Val's Day?). Like versions that do not have raw eggs - so it is unlikely I will kill anyone.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Thanks for this recipe! It sounds like fudge Italian style!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow..sounds scrumptiously tasty..
chanced upon your space while blog hopping..
very interesting space you have..awesome presentation with inviting cliks..
Am your happy follower now..:)
do stop by mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite

Alyssahope31 said...

My early Sunday morning activity. My chocolate salami logs are chilling and hardening in the fridge. Thanks for the brilliant recipe!

Mister Meatball said...

Excellent!

Hope it turns out okay.