Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pasta with fresh fig and pistachio


When life hands you fresh, sweet summer figs ...


These are the first of the season, and they came from a fig tree that I have been nursing back to health for more than two years.


I was only cooking for myself last night (Mets and Braves game) and so all I sliced was one of the (very large) figs. The handful of unsalted raw pistachios came from a stash that's always on hand in the freezer.


First I sauteed the pistachios in a mixture of butter and olive oil, but quickly and only to lightly toast the nuts.


Then the figs went in. (I should probably mention that this concoction was not planned and that the ingredients came together on a whim, and on the fly.)


The figs only cooked for about a minute at medium-high heat.


As soon as the pasta was cooked I tossed it in a bowl with some of the (well-salted) pasta water, more butter and a whole lot of Romano cheese.


Then mixed in the figs and pistachios, and added more cheese and some freshly ground pepper.


A little on the quirky side, but not bad.

And I'm pretty sure it'd have tasted even better had my Mets not gotten clobbered by the Braves whilst I was chewing.

NOTE TO EMAIL SUBSCRIBERS: I recently learned that some of you will on occasion reply to an email announcing that a new blog post has been published. I am unable to see these messages. For all correspondence please use mistermeatballblog@gmail.com. And apologies to those who may have thought that I had ignored their messages.

No comments: