Thursday, September 10, 2015

Zucchini & eggs


This won't take but a minute. That's the way comfort foods work. Time-wise you're in and you're out in a flash. It's the feelings that linger on.

To my way of thinking few foods provide more comfort than Zucchini & Eggs. It's right up there with Pasta & Peas on the warm-and-fuzzy scale — and precious few things ever make it into that territory.

I am not alone in this. Many of the people that I grew up with in Brooklyn will back me up here, I am sure. Their mothers and grandmothers and aunts sliced many summer zucchini from their family gardens, and even cracked eggs fresh from the chicken coops in their backyards. The olive oils that they lovingly fried the zucchini and the eggs in were fresh and fragrant, the breads accompanying the completed scramble crusty and fresh from the bakeries down the street.

It would be an unprofitable use of time trying to estimate how often I have gone running to zucchini & eggs for nourishment. I wouldn't even try.

What I will try is to get you to give it a go and see how it feels.


Just slice up a zucchini and fry it in olive oil until golden.


Add a couple eggs (three here) and salt and pepper to taste.


Once the eggs start to set, lightly toss into a scramble and then serve.


Feels pretty good, am I right?

3 comments:

Fred said...

Only one thing that can possibly be better: "gogootz" and eggs!

Mister Meatball said...

Ha! Didn't grow any 'gootz this year. Miss seein them big boys in the garden.

kennebunksgossip said...

Oh how i wish you posted more often!! i love you blog!! but we do not get enough!!

I was brought up in Queens, born in Brooklyn, .and while i had Italian friends..i never ate zucchini as a child!!! but now love it and grow it!!