Thursday, September 8, 2016

Pasta with corn & gorgonzola

Sometimes it really is ALL about the ingredients.
I was in New York visiting the family and naturally made a stop at my favorite Italian food store on the planet, D. Coluccio & Sons in Brooklyn. If you've never been then do yourself a big favor and get a move on. Now!

Anyhow, they had this beautiful hunk of cheese that I'd never tasted before: a Gorgonzola-Mascarpone blend. One of the cheesemongers, a new guy that I didn't know, offered me a try and I liked it so much that I bought the entire two-pound piece.

Nothing succeeds like excess.
By the time I got home to Maine, the best thing waiting for me (besides about 10 more pounds of ripe tomatoes in the garden and, okay, the woman) was corn season. After plowing through an unknown quantity of fresh-from-the-farm corn and a not insignificant amount of the cheese, the idea of putting the two together came to me.
Normally I steam corn but in this case I filled a big pot with water, tossed in a handful of salt, and blanched two ears for three minutes. Do not throw away the water. It's what you'll cook the pasta in. Get it?
After the corn has cooled a bit carve off the kernels and set aside.
In a large pan saute three or four garlic cloves in olive oil until tender, then add one medium-size chopped fresh tomato. Cook for two or three minutes. This is also a good time to get your pasta started in the pot that you cooked the corn in.
Add the corn and several basil leaves.
Then add about 1/4 pound of the cheese. If you can't find the Gorgonzola-Mascarpone then maybe use a mild gorgonzola instead.
Stir it all up, add some freshly ground black pepper, then cook at medium heat for around five minutes.
When the pasta is ready add it to the pan and incorporate. Make sure to save some of the pasta water and add as needed to keep things moist.
My guess is that corn season will be around a little while longer. As for the Gorgonzola-Mascarpone, well, I'm always looking for a reason to drive down and visit la famiglia!

3 comments:

Kate. said...

That looks right up my alley. And I have been to D. Coluccio & Sons thanks to you! My friends thought I was crazy, suggesting we venture that far down in Brooklyn. :)

Mister Meatball said...

I remember you going, yeah. If you haven't had this cheese before, try it if you see it. Very swell indeed.

Anonymous said...

My husband loves Gorgonzola cheese. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Gorgonzola-Mascarpone blend. Sounds delicious.

WeekendsInMaine