Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Pasta with kale & beans



If not for the anchovy this could have made it to the Vegetarian Recipe Index.

Oh well, at least it's reasonably healthy. My doctor would approve, I think. He's the one who keeps yammering on about how awesome swell his "plant-based diet" has been treating him.

Yeah, whatever.

Beans and pasta is good winter dish. It won't kill me to toss something green in every once in a while, right? And this kale stuff's got a ton of Vitamin K, or at least that's what the doc tells me. What Vitamin K's good for I couldn't tell you, but the leafy green makes for a nice addition to this pasta and that's good enough for me.

Did I mention how easy-peasy this dish is? No? Well, it is.



In a large pot of well-salted water blanch the kale for several minutes, until tender. Remove the kale from the water with tongs or a slotted spoon. Don't throw away the water because we'll use it to cook the pasta. After the kale is cool enough to work with chop it into pieces around an inch wide.



In a large pan saute four or so garlic cloves, some hot pepper to taste and a few anchovy filets.



After two or three minutes stir in the kale.



Then add a can of cannellini beans (drained of the liquid) and saute at medium heat.



Cook whatever pasta shape you like in the salted water that you cooked the kale in. I went with strozzapreti ("priest-strangler" in Italian), and this is around a half pound.



When your pasta is al dente add it to the pan with the kale and beans and incorporate, using some of the pasta water to moisten.



Plate and top with some grated cheese.

Oh, and if you run into my doctor give him an earful about how good I've been eating lately, okay.

Just don't mention the porterhouse that I scored for tonight.

No comments: