Monday, March 25, 2013

Italian egg drop soup


Okay, so it's actually stracciatella. I went with the "egg drop" headline figuring that it might draw some more people in. What do you want from me?

Other than making your own chicken broth, which I highly recommend, there really is nothing to preparing this soup. In fact, with the holidays coming up this weekend, it would make a lovely beginning to the family meal.

Stracciatella (yes, chocolate chip ice cream goes by the same name in Italy) definitely ranks high on the comfort-food scale. I mean, c'mon. It's eggs, broth and cheese. What's more soothing than that?

I've always made this soup by instinct, not by recipe. But. Since I am suggesting that you serve it to your loved ones this holiday weekend I decided to play it safe and let somebody else stand in on the recipe front.

You're welcome.

And have a good holiday.

RECIPE
Stracciatella
Roman Egg-Drop Soup
Adapted from Cooking the Roman Way, by David Downey

8 cups homemade chicken broth (you can use store bought but only do this if you're in a real hurry)
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Kosher or coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of nutmeg

Bring the broth to a slow boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer.

Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl. Add the cheeses and stir in the parsley. (I know people who also add a little breadcrumb at this stage.)

Whisk the boiling broth so it swirls clockwise. Pour in the egg mixture and whisk vigorously until the eggs tear into tiny shreds, about one minute. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste and also the nutmeg.

Ladle into soup bowls and serve immediately. (I'll often sprinkle some more cheese into the bowls, and always broken pieces of stale bread if I have it around.)

8 comments:

Fred said...

I seem to remember this soup with flecks of shredded chicken in it. Possible? Or do I have it mixed up with the greek version or something else perhaps?

Velva said...

I make this soup often ( yes with homemade broth). The family enjoys it, and it is soulful. Thanks for sharing it.

You are right, this would make a wonderful soup for this upcoming weekend.

Velva

Mister Meatball said...

Yep, I've had it with shredded chicken too. Even tossed in some miniature meatballs once.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Thanks for the lunch idea, it's chilly and cold today, this will be perfect!

Unknown said...

Do you add some escarole to it sometimes or spinach? My Nona used to make it like that! But every part of Italy have their own variation of the same soup.

Mister Meatball said...

Yes, both those greens work great.

Claudia said...

I always have the fixings and I will often selfishly make this just for me when home alone. Yes, I'm that greedy.

Charlene Ann Baumbich said...

All printed and ready for action. Just need to buy a chicken. Thanks, dude! Blessings to you and yours.